Friday, May 21, 2021

Being In Tune with Your Body

    It's been a little over five years since I was diagnosed with endometriosis, but I started fighting for my health long before that. When you struggle with a chronic illness that causes you to have chronic pain, you start to know your body on a deeper level than a person who doesn't have those struggles. Since you're trying to do everything you can to prevent pain, you know exactly what foods trigger your symptoms, what activities could be pushing you too much, how much sleep you need to get, certain ways you need to sit, stand, and walk, the list goes on and on. But the bottom line is, especially being a woman, I've had to fight for my voice to be heard and in order to do that, I had to become very in tune with my body. 

    Whenever I go to my variety of doctor's appointments, the nurses and doctors are always shocked at how well I know everything that's happening in my body and how I can pinpoint (most of the time) what is causing me to have symptoms. I tell them that I don't have a choice in the matter living with a chronic illness. Now, this isn't me bragging. I wish I didn't have to do this, but through experience, I know I won't get answers unless I bring suggestions with me to the appointment. Like I've mentioned before on here, I keep a health journal where I write everything I eat during the day, any pelvic pain I'm having, if I made a bowel movement, my stress level, any bladder pain, exercise, and an "other" column for other information I want to add. I do this because if I start having pain, I can look back and try to see if I can determine the cause. It also serves as evidence that I can bring to an appointment to back up my findings. 

    Being in tune with my body has helped me a lot, especially in the last year, but it's honestly exhausting. Having to pay attention and take note of every little thing you do in the day isn't fun and it takes up a lot of time and mental capacity. However, I'm willing to do it because it has helped me get accommodations through school, figure out the cause of my bladder problems, and start to figure out how to heal my injured tailbone, just to name a few. While I hope one day I won't have to do this because medical professionals will just believe me without me having to do their job for them, it is something that works for me right now and I encourage all of you to keep a health journal if you are able. 

Keep fighting, you got this, and remember, endo is not the end!


Follow me on Instagram: @endoisnottheendblog

No comments:

Post a Comment