Saturday, July 17, 2021

WHAT IS CUPPING THERAPY?

 

Many of you have heard me talk about cupping therapy (or cupping) here and on my Instagram, but I've learned that most people don't know what it is. I was first introduced to cupping when Michael Phelps made it popular by putting his circular bruises on display at the Olympics. 


Cupping is a form of alternative medicine that has become popular over the last few years. I started using this method in pelvic floor physical therapy over the winter to help with inflammation and pain management in my back and tailbone. Still, people use it for many different reasons. So you can get a better understanding of cupping, and why it's helpful, I'm going to bring you through the basics.

WHAT IS CUPPING THERAPY?

Cupping therapy is an ancient form of alternative medicine that originated in China.

HOW DOES CUPPING WORK?

A therapist will put special cups on specified spots and create a suction to the skin and leave them there for however long they deem necessary. 

WHY DO PEOPLE USE CUPPING THERAPY?

There are many different reasons why people use cupping therapy, including:
  • Pain
  • Inflammation
  • Blood flow
  • Relaxation and well-being
  • Muscle tightness
It has been compared to a deep tissue massage.

DOES IT HURT?

I decided to include this question because looking at pictures of cupping can be pretty offputting, so I wanted to share my experience. There are many different suction levels, so you must communicate with your therapist about what is too much, too little, and just right suction for you. However, if you are really trying to get the full effects of the cups, you can put them on a little tighter, and it will hurt at first, but after 30-60 seconds, the pain will go away. I haven't gotten up to the level of bruising you see on Michael Phelps; in fact, I've only ever had bruising one time because everybody is different and can only tolerate so much. But the goal is to add a little more suction each time so you can make progress.

WHAT DOES RESEARCH SHOW?

While there needs to be more and better research done on cupping, it has been known to help those with:
  • Blood disorders 
  • Rheumatic diseases
  • Fertility
  • Skin problems 
  • High blood pressure
  • Migraines
  • Anxiety and depression
  • Bronchial congestion
  • Varicose veins 
  • Overall muscle relaxation
Cupping therapy definitely isn't for everybody, but if you are looking for another method of pain management, I certainly recommend it! I always leave my appointments feeling so relaxed and in a lot less pain. But remember to always drink a lot of water after because it's sucking a lot of toxins out of your body. 

Source: https://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/cupping-therapy


Follow me on social media!
Instagram: @endoisnottheendblog
Twitter: @endoisnothend
Facebook: Endo Is Not the End

No comments:

Post a Comment