Saturday, July 3, 2021

WORKING 9-5 WITH CHRONIC PAIN

 

Working 9 to 5 is something brand new to me that I started last week. I'm working two jobs this summer so obviously, I've had to learn how to manage this. Working 9 to 5 for the first time is challenging for everyone, but then you add in having to deal with chronic pain and it makes adjusting to this new schedule a lot harder. I want to preface this by saying that I love both of my jobs and I can't wait for the rest of the summer because I'm so lucky to be in both positions! However, sitting at my desk for hours on end isn't the best for my pelvic floor region. 

My whole life up to this point I've imagined myself as having a desk/office job in the future because due to my chronic pain, being on the move isn't my favorite thing. Now that I'm sitting at a desk in my bedroom for many hours a day, I might need to reevaluate that vision for myself. I think my ideal situation is where I can sit when I want to and move around when I want to because my body needs both of those things to keep everything in check. Although sitting at a desk isn't the most comfortable thing in the world, I've discovered a few things that have helped me make the best of the situation. 

The first is a laptop stand. This allows you to prop up your laptop so it's at eye level and you aren't breaking your back hunching over it all day. I got mine at the beginning of last semester and I think it's one of my favorite purchases ever. I'm still sitting in front of the computer for the same amount of time, but my back and neck feel SO much better. 


The second tool that has been so incredibly helpful to me for years is blue light glasses. These block out the harmful blue light coming from your computer or other electronic devices and makes having to stare at them all day way easier on the eyes. I used to get headaches all the time from blue light, but I don't anymore because of these glasses!


The third thing is a seat cushion. As I've mentioned here a few times, I've had an injured tailbone for about a year now, so seat cushions are an essential part of my everyday life. I use one on my desk chair at home and school, as well as one in my car. Even if you don't have tailbone or back issues, a seat cushion can still be really helpful for all-around comfort. 



And finally, the items I have purchased most recently, a mouse and mousepad. Not just any mousepad though, one with wrist support so you don't do any damage while using your mouse all day. This is the first time I've actually used a mouse with a laptop, but it's been so helpful because it allows me to sit up straight in my chair and not have to hunch over the mousepad built into my laptop. 



I'm really curious, so let me know on here or over on my Instagram, but how do you work while also dealing with chronic pain? I'm open to any and all suggestions!


Follow me on social media!
Instagram: @endoisnottheendblog
Twitter: @endoisnothend
Facebook: Endo Is Not the End

No comments:

Post a Comment